The New Brunswick Legal Aid Services Commission (NBLASC) is seeking an individual to lead the Criminal Law Services as Director. This position is based out of the Fredericton regional office.
The Director Criminal Law Services provides management, strategic guidance and leadership to, and is responsible for, duty counsel, criminal lawyers and/or support staff. The Director deals with numerous legal, supervisory, administrative, policy and budgetary concerns. The Director conducts regular caseload reviews and oversees fair assignment of cases and overall competence and quality of work performed province wide. A significant portion of the incumbent's responsibilities include maintaining/developing relationships with the Judiciary; case management when required; acting as a resource person for staff training purposes; a leadership role with respect to difficult cases; having an active role in the hiring process; and implementing initiatives to promote the productivity of lawyers and support staff. As required, the Director of Criminal Law Services acts on behalf of the Executive Director.
As a senior member of the Management Team, the Director of Criminal Law Services provides strategic direction, input and information in regards to outcomes and services in respect to criminal legal services in the organization.
- Bachelor of Law Degree;
- Membership in good standing or eligibility for membership with the Law Society of New Brunswick;
- Strong knowledge of the Legal Aid Act and Regulations;
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in criminal law;
- Experience in managing and providing education to lawyers and/or other professionals;
- Knowledge and experience with federal and provincial legislation regarding Criminal Law, Young Offenders and the rules of practice and procedure;
- Written and spoken competence in French and English (Please state your language capability).
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may be considered.
- Experience as a member of a Senior Management Team and/or in a strategic role;
- Familiar with office technology including legal research applications.
- Coaching and Team Development;
- Organizational Awareness;
- Organizational Commitment;
- Relationship Building;
- Results Orientation;
- Strategic Thinking;
- Analytical Thinking/Judgement;
- Impact and Influence.
Salary and benefits will be commensurate with skill level and experience:
NBLASC LAWYER V pay plan
$4,530 - $5,529 biweekly
Applicants interested in this opportunity must respond by July 11, 2021.
Apply Online or:
Mail resume to
New Brunswick Legal Aid Services Commission
PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL
Att: Human Resources
Director Criminal Law Services Competition
501-500 Beaverbrook Court
Fredericton, NB E3B 5X4
Email resume to
Please state "Director Criminal Law Services" in your email.
Note: To be given consideration under this competition, applicants are required to demonstrate on their application how, when, and where they acquired the qualifications required for this position. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same level. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and we promote a scent-reduced environment. We thank all those who apply; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.